The Job Announcement Board is provided by South Central Regional Library Council. To post an announcement please email: Diane Capalongo Job announcements will be removed from our Jobs page thirty days after the day of posting unless the hiring institution requests otherwise.
Browse Current Job Postings: Alfred University | Chautauqua Cattaraugus Library System | Rochester Institute of Technology | SUNY Broome Community College | Tompkins County Public Library |
Upstate Health Sciences Library | Vestal Public Library
Rochester Institute of Technology
Manager of Acquisitioins/Serials
See this page for additional information about RIT Libraries, Acquisitions and Serials, and to apply: https://library.rit.edu/job-man-acq-ser
Detailed Job Description
Responsible for the leadership and management of the Acquisitions/Serials department which provides all library materials through purchase needed to support the RIT Curriculum and student and faculty research and scholarship. With the Director of RIT Libraries, responsible for the prudent fiscal oversight and management of the library's $2.5+ million materials budget. Working with the staff of the Research and Instruction Services department, responsible for collection analysis of the Wallace Library holdings.
- Provide leadership, direction and budgetary oversight for the operations and personnel of RIT Libraries' Acquisitions/Serials department. Administer, lead and manage the permanent staff and student employees which may include interns and co-op students. Establish performance standards and initiatives, and support staff development. Establish standards, procedures, and direction for Acquisitions/Serials in support of RIT Libraries' goals and mission. Identify goals and set priorities that ensure a high level of service. Engage in and lead team in process and service improvements, pro-actively respond to user concerns and needs.
- Select, communicate with (including some negotiations not handled by the Electronic Resources Librarian,) and monitor appropriate vendors of monograph and serials materials. Review and oversee the placement of all monograph and serials materials orders requested by the librarian college liaisons. Make recommendations and implement new products and practices as appropriate to provide best, most cost effective products and services available for our constituents. Determine the best balance of loan/licensed/purchase of materials in regards to cost effectiveness and ease of access for users.
- Provide prudent fiscal management of the library's 2.5+ million-dollar materials budget, and maintain fiscal accountability for the serials, monographs, bindery, microfilm, new programs, and special funds. Work closely with the Electronic Resources Librarian and the Director of RIT Libraries in this area.
- Perform collection analysis and assessment, and oversee general collection development initiatives and collection management projects, in coordination with the library subject specialists and other associated library departments.
- Manage the effective use of the Integrated Library System's acquisitions and serials modules related to monographic and serials ordering, funds management, invoice payments and serials check-in. Investigate new software options and evaluate workflows to determine if implementation will optimize departmental operations.
- Serve as a member of RIT Libraries Management Team responsible for the strategic leadership and direction of RIT Libraries and its services.
- Advise the RIT Libraries Management Team on services and new and emerging trends and technologies related to materials acquisition, electronic access and distribution.
- Participate in setting organization-wide goals, policies, and services as a member of the RIT Libraries' management team.
- Cultivate and maintain internal and external relationships and serve on appropriate committees to enhance and promote the services of the department.
- Work closely with other RIT Libraries teams to assess their needs related to acquisitions/serials. Represent RIT Libraries on campus and at local, regional and national levels in areas relating to acquisitions, serials and interlibrary loan.
Required Minimum Qualifications
3+ years of professional experience in an academic library in the following areas:
- Selection of library resources in all formats, and ability to work effectively with vendors
- Thorough understanding of publishing and library acquisitions issues, trends and practices.
- Demonstrated knowledge of fund management and accounting principles.
- Familiarity with information resource structures, and core resources that support general reference services.
- Detailed knowledge and experience with an integrated library system and electronic resource management system.
- Adept in successfully creating and working in a team environment
- Demonstrated ability to effectively supervise, train and manage staff and student employees
- Proficient in the use and manipulation of spreadsheets.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively organize information, manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
- Working knowledge of relevant software applications and computer hardware/peripherals.
- Ability to assess and integrate appropriate complex and rapidly–evolving technologies into the library's collections and acquisitions workflows.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skill, both verbal and written.
- 1-3 years supervising professional librarians in an academic library
- 1-3 years using qualitative and quantitative data to make improvements to user centered services
- Effective management of budgets and department resources.
Back to top
The Alfred University Libraries are pleased to announce several position openings. A library career is enjoyable, challenging and fulfilling all at the same time. The daily tasks of all our library positions are centered around providing excellent service to students, faculty and staff. Alfred University Libraries is comprised of the enthusiastic and dynamic teams at Herrick Memorial Library and Samuel R. Scholes Library. We are looking for teammates for the following positions:
Technical Services Assistant: https://alfred.edu/jobs-at-alfred/viewpost.cfm?ID=6378
Public Services Coordinator: https://alfred.edu/jobs-at-alfred/viewpost.cfm?ID=6377
Temporary Part-Time Library Instructor: https://alfred.edu/jobs-at-alfred/viewpost.cfm?ID=6381
To apply, please submit the following to the address below: (Email & PDF preferred). Application review begins immediately and will continue until the positions are filled.
1) A letter of introduction outlining how your qualifications and experience match this opportunity;
2) Current Resume/Vitae;
3) Names, email, and phone numbers of three appropriate references
Email materials to: email@example.com mail to:
Office of Human Resources
Alfred, NY 14802
Back to top
Upstate Health Sciences Library
Resource Sharing Librarian
The Upstate Health Sciences Library is looking for a highly motivated creative thinker who will oversee the effective management of our interlibrary loan and document delivery department.
You will enjoy this position if you:
- Are self-directed and a good problem solver
- Take initiative and identify opportunities to produce positive change
- Enjoy a diverse work environment and pursue continuous learning
- Are comfortable making and advocating for tough decisions
On the job you will:
- Provide leadership for borrowing and lending operations including goal setting, report preparation, and budgetary oversight. Explore, plan, and oversee resource sharing initiatives.
- Work with various systems including ILLiad, OCLC, DOCLINE and document delivery vendors.
- Collaborate and/or train a variety of partners including coordinators of Library Technology, Collection Management and Access Services.
- Oversee and actively participate in ILL request fulfillment, and oversee ILL copyright compliance.
- Collaborate with the Information Resources Department on various resource management initiatives.
- Represent the University with consortium partners at the regional, state, and national level.
At the Upstate Health Science Library, we:
- Provide the resources and support needed to succeed on the job
- Offer a competitive salary and a respectful, inclusive environment
- Are committed to your professional development, supporting training opportunities and travel to national and regional meetings
- Accommodate a healthy work-life balance
- ALA accredited(MLS) or equivalent
- Working knowledge of ILLiad
- Experience with resource sharing/ interlibrary loan processes and the use of resource sharing software
- Ability to identify and implement emerging technologies
- Effective communication and customer service skills
- Academic or medical library experience
- Project management skills
This is a 12month, tenure track position with faculty status. Initial appointment will be at the rank of Senior Assistant Librarian. Salary is dependent on qualifications. Excellent benefits package including TIAA and other retirement options.
Apply Online at:
Review of applications will begin on 9/17/18 and continue until position is filled
About working at Upstate Medical University
Upstate Medical University is Central New York's only academic medical center and the region's largest employer. Our community includes Colleges of Medicine, Nursing, Health Professions, & Graduate Studies. University Hospital (a 400 bed tertiary care hospital), University Hospital (Community Campus), the Golisano's Children's Hospital and our new Cancer Center. For more information about Upstate, see http://www.upstate.edu/about/.
Back to top
SUNY Broome Community College
SUNY Broome Community College has an immediate opening available for a part-time Assistant Librarian to work in an active reference environment 16 to 20 hours per week. The position includes working a flexible schedule, which may include days & possibly weeknight and/or weekend hours for the fall and spring semesters. Duties include providing reference services to students, faculty and community patrons in a highly networked environment and developing and implementing library instruction, including web-based materials.
A Master's degree from an ALA - accredited Library and Information Science Program is required as well as three years of professional library experience, or an appropriate combination of librarianship, relevant work experience, and scholarly activity. This position does not offer benefits. Salary is $35.69 per hour.
Candidates comfortable in a diverse, student-centered environment and committed to the community college mission are encouraged to apply. Application materials must be received by Friday, September 21, 2018. Interested applicants may apply online at: http://www.sunybroome.edu/employment.
SUNY BCC is committed to the diversity of its community. Women, minorities, veterans, individuals with disabilities and members of under-represented groups are encouraged to apply. AA/EOE
Back to top
Chautauqua Cattaraugus Library System
Executive Director Position
Lead a rural public library system that's on the cutting edge of innovative new services to its member libraries!
The Chautauqua-Cattaraugus Library System, CCLS, headquartered in Jamestown, NY, seeks an Executive Director that leads as well as listens; appreciates the struggles and accomplishments of rural public libraries;
is willing to get in the trenches to help members seek the resources needed to provide current technology, services, and programs; and mentors all CCLS stakeholders.
CCLS will be the first public library system in New York State to move to KOHA an open source ILS. Take this opportunity to continue creating and fostering services that enable our member libraries to expand outreach to rural communities.
Come enjoy Chautauqua and Cattaraugus Counties as we are home to four season recreational activities, world-class art and educational institutions, with the National Comedy Center, the Chautauqua Institution, and so much more!
General Information - The Executive Director administers CCLS which is a cooperative library system chartered by the NYS Regents to serve the 36 public libraries in the two county area. CCLS has an annual budget totaling $1.5 million and employs 10 full and 5 part time staff.
Responsibilities - Manage all System service operations and provide leadership and direction, recommend policy to the board, implement adopted policies, prepare strategic plans and annual goal statements. Recruit, select and supervise System staff. Provide leadership that creates an effective and productive working environment. Administer the financial resources to deliver high quality, efficient and cost-effective System services that address member library priorities; consult regularly with System trustees and member library directors. Prepare and effectively administer the budget; prepare budget applications to State and County governments, and grant applications as appropriate. Ensure that System procedures, policies and official records conform to applicable laws and regulations. Supervise the maintenance and improvement of System facilities. Seek imaginative and innovative means for delivering services tailored to meet the library and information needs of a diverse group of member libraries. Serve as a consultant to member library staff and trustees on administrative, legal and service issues. Maintain good working relations and open communication with all 36 individual member library directors, including two Co-Central libraries. Demonstrate understanding of technology and its growing and changing applications to libraries. Keep abreast of current practice in the profession through reading, networking with colleagues, attending workshops and conferences and being active in professional organizations. Provide advocacy for libraries at the local, county and state levels and establish working relationships with elected officials at all levels, as well as with the New York State Library.
Qualifications - A master's degree (MLS, MLIS, MSLS) from an ALA accredited library school. Possess or be eligible for New York State Public Librarian's Professional Certificate. Eight or more years of professional library experience (post MLS), two years of which must have been in an administrative capacity in a library. Public library experience is preferred. Commitment to professional development as demonstrated by participation in continuing education opportunities. Possess a valid driver's license or be eligible for a NYS driver's license, as position requires travel within two county area and to seminars and workshops as needed. Live in or be willing to relocate to Chautauqua or Cattaraugus County.
Compensation - Salary is negotiable beginning at $80,000 with an attractive benefits package.
How to Apply - Apply online at https://www.indeedjobs.com/chautauqua-cattaraugus-library-system. Upload resume & list 3 references in cover letter via Indeed's cover letter section (under Apply Now).
Further Information - For further information contact: Megan Disbro at firstname.lastname@example.org or 716-664-6675, ext 251. Review of applications begins September 25, 2018.
Back to top
Vestal Public Library
Adult Services Librarian I
About the Library:
The Vestal Public Library, a school district library, serves a population of 31,800. Located in the Town of Vestal in the southern tier of New York, we are part of the Four County Library System.
About the position:
The Vestal Public Library is seeking for an energetic, forward thinking Librarian I for full-time work at the adult reference desk. The candidate will work with the Director and the staff to ensure that our patron needs are met.
-Be able to provide reference and readers/audiovisual/technology advisory service to the public.
-Will gather monthly statistics toward the New York State Annual Report.
-Will perform collection development by recommending titles for purchase and/or deletion.
-Helps provide assistance to the Library Director in oversight of the physical building.
-Plans and conducts library/technology programs for adults.
-Maintains the library's Facebook pg. and website.
-Will perform other tasks that might be assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements:
-patience, discretion and communication skills.
-enjoys learning as well as teaching
-demonstrates creativity, flexibility and a positive attitude.
-poise in a busy setting serving patrons and staff with high expectations.
-keeps up with professional development.
-experience in website and Facebook maintenance.
-ability to work on a team.
-grant writing experience a plus.
-Master's Degree in Library Science
-professional certificate from New York State.
Salary and hours:
The salary is $35,469 plus benefits. The hours will include at least one night and weekends.
Position is open until filled.
Send resume to Carol Boyce, 320 Vestal Parkway E. Vestal, NY 13850 or
Email to: email@example.com
Back to top
Tompkins County Public Library
Coordinator of Volunteer Services
You must submit your application before August 31, 2018 to be eligible to take the exam October 13, 2018. A vacancy in this position is anticipated January 2019.
Join the Administrative Team at Tompkins County Public Library (TCPL) located in downtown Ithaca, NY. This full-time, 35-hour-per-week position as Coordinator of Volunteer Services is part of the Tompkins County Civil Service system. The position reports to the Library Director and supports the entire library through recruitment, training, and retention of over 500 volunteers annually, and is an integral part of the library as a whole, which has 43.5 FTE staff members.
Your role will be to match interested volunteers with service needs that enhance and enrich lives through library participation. The Coordinator of Volunteer Services will work with the Library Department Heads to meet the library's evolving needs and provide volunteer opportunities for rewarding work that supports the library's mission, vision, and strategic plan.
The Coordinator of Volunteer Services will develop a training program that enables the volunteers to have a successful library experience. This position will also support the statistical and reporting needs of the volunteers and the library. This position will include some evening and weekend hours.
Salary for 2018 is $21.80/hour hiring rate, and $22.66/hour working rate after 12 months. There is a generous benefits package including New York State retirement.
Join our energetic and passionate team!
(A) Associate degree from a regionally accredited or New York State registered two year college and one year of full time paid (or the equivalent part-time and/or volunteer) experience in a public library or organized volunteer services program; OR
(B) Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma AND three years of full time paid (or the equivalent part-time and/or volunteer) experience in a public library or organized volunteer services program; OR
(C) Any combination of training and experience equal to or greater than that described in above A and B above.
For more information, please contact the Library Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or 607-272-4557 Ext. 234.
For additional information on Tompkins County Civil Service please visit http://tompkinscountyny.gov/personnel.
To apply, please visit: https://www.tompkinscivilservice.org/civilservice/apply/3777
Back to top