To develop and promote a diverse workforce within libraries, foster DEI in library policies, practices, programming, and services, and promote, support, sponsor and celebrate DEI within and between libraries and their communities. A central mission of the advisory committee is to educate and support library staff and community partners in understanding that DEI work is everyone's responsibility in creating a welcoming and supportive environment. The advisory committee acknowledges that DEI work can at times be uncomfortable, and trusts that all SCRLC members are here to learn, and commit to help one another and our colleagues in that learning process. The creation and maintenance of a safe space for a diverse and multicultural community of respectful persons is essential to the educational mission of libraries.
- Assist with assessing Library policies and practices through a DEI lens to identify systems and structures that may impede DEI efforts, and to identify potential DEI needs and projects.
- Provide leadership through sharing information on DEI Advisory Committee initiatives and programs with SCRLC members.
- Help create an inclusive and equitable work environment in which all personnel are able to develop to their full potential.
- Address proactively the fair and equal treatment of Library personnel.
- Complete the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Plan.
- Publish and continue building the DEI LibGuide
- Plan a series of DEI- related continuing education opportunities.
- Host an article/video discussion group
- Support regional DEI-related efforts and initiatives, e.g., Alfred's LGBTQ teen mentorship program initiative.
- Develop the Code of Conduct for SCRLC.
- Provide assistance to other library organizations on matters of DEI.