To develop and promote a diverse workforce within libraries, foster Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, Justice, & Accessibilty in library policies, practices, programming, and services, and promote, support, sponsor and celebrate DEIJA within and between libraries and their communities. A central mission of the advisory committee is to educate and support library staff and community partners in understanding that DEIJA work is everyone's responsibility in creating a welcoming and supportive environment. The advisory committee acknowledges that DEIJA work can at times be uncomfortable, and trusts that all SCRLC members are here to learn, and commit to help one another and our colleagues in that learning process. The creation and maintenance of a safe space for a diverse and multicultural community of respectful persons is essential to the educational mission of libraries.
- Assist with assessing Library policies and practices through a DEIJA lens to identify systems and structures that may impede DEIJA efforts, and to identify potential DEIJA needs and projects.
- Provide leadership through sharing information on DEIJA Advisory Committee initiatives and programs with SCRLC members.
- Help create an inclusive and equitable work environment in which all personnel are able to develop to their full potential.
- Address proactively the fair and equal treatment of Library personnel.
- Recommend topics and speakers for programs; include speakers from BIPOC/neuro-diverse/persons with disabilities/LGBTQIA+ communities.
- Collaborate with the Digital Equity Coalition to plan summit/symposium as possible.
- Send Review and revise the DEIJA Plan to the board.
- Review the Code of Conduct policy; recommend revisions.
- Provide input into the Bylaws' diversity statement.
- Contribute questions to the Educational Services Advisory Committee's next Needs Assessment Survey.
- Discuss DEIJA topics in SCRLC's newsletter; include guest columnists.
- Complete and distribute the DEIALS (Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Assessment for Library Systems) assessment document as appropriate.
- Update the DEIJA LibGuide.
- Incorporate and implement the initiatives drafted in 2022/2023 into the DEIJA goals as appropriate.